Monday 15 November 2010

Promoting Greater Manchester as a great place to live, study and work.

What makes Manchester is what it is? What are its characteristics? What are the ideas that pop into my head when I think of Manchester? 


Obviously the music scene, but I'm bored of constantly basing my design projects on music and my interest in it.


Manchester Lights/The way the city and its buildings are lit at night.
Manchester United vs. Manchester City.
Mod fashion scene.
Busiest buss route in Europe.
Factory Records/The Hacienda: what remain of both buildings and how they have changed over the years.
Industrial Revolution, what buildings and heritage still remain from this era.
Manchester Restaurants, the good ones and the Michelin stars they hold.
Manchester Restaurants, cheap but good ones.
Massive student population.




***For me when I think of Manchester, fashion plays a big role in the city's culture. A specific fashion sense that shines through, is the mod scene. Manchester has a massive mod scene, and the trend flows into all era's of the city's fashion. Mod haircuts and side burns are a Manchester trade mark. If we look at the memorable music bands and artists that originate from the city, like the stone roses and oasis, the mod trend flows into their image. They may not completely stick to the trend but it certainly is evident in their look. Manchester holds some really nice shops that sell mod fashions and that have their own unique vibe. They sell limited edition pieces of clothing and for certain brands are the primary retailer in the North. Manchester has a rich fashion identity within the UK, mod is one of the cities biggest trend and it has a massive depth from brands that carry through the trend to the shops that retail the clothing.***


***Buildings come to life at night when they are illuminated by light, with the fantastic architecture that Manchester has, when night falls and the buildings are lit, further beauty emerges. We are now entering the Christmas season, Christmas lights will fill the city. I think this, coupled with the already beautifully lit buildings, it is possible to capture some amazing images. Some amazing night landscapes can be captured from heights in Manchester. There is also depth behind lighting designers and i could look into who designs the lighting design for the buildings and the Christmas lights.***


I love good food. I love exploring Manchester's different cuisine, wether it may be expensive (if I have my loan in) or cheap. When i visited the website visitmanchester.com it listed the top five cheap eats around Manchester city centre. One of which is a place I constantly go to. Each restaurant has their own unique attributes and trends. They carry character and charm which I believe can be captured very well through photography. Each food outlet could be given be captured and portrayed it their own unique way. 


For the advertisement that is required I will stick to the theme of mod. There are a few brands that represent Mods quite well:


**Fred Perry**
Lambretta
Ben Sherman
Clarks
Gabicci

1 comment:

  1. I love the restaurants in Manchester, there are some amazing places to eat there. Vermilion & Cinnabar is my favourite, you have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete